Vendée Globe 2008

Spirit of Canada

Derek Hatfield, Spirit of Canada: initial damage report

Hello from Les Sables d’Olonne

This morning Algimouss Spirit of Canada had a thorough going over by the technical team from Bahrain Team Pindar and a work list was constructed and then divided amongst the team to be conquered. Derek had returned with a list of things that either had been damaged or lost in the storm on Sunday and Monday. But once we boarded the boat outside the harbor last night; the list got bigger; the mainsail would not come down. After a bit of persuasion the mainsail started to come down the mast track….then the sound of ball-bearings hitting the deck, the head-car had left the mast track. Once in port, a team member went up to discover that the track had been pulled out of the mast creating damage to the carbon.

The weather system that struck the fleet has caused a lot of damage to the other boats so we are taking all precautions to make sure that we have a good going over the boat while Derek is in port. The mast has been taken from the boat and an ultrasound will be done tonight to determine the extent of the damage. The mast technicians are working through the night tonight preparing to laminate carbon. Best estimates now are that Derek will be ready to leave port on the afternoon tide on Friday.

4 abandonari

Abandonari:

Kito de Pavant -Groupe Bel
Marc Tjhiercelin -DCNS
Yannick Bestaven -Aquarelle.com
Alex Thompson-Hugo Boss, aici sa fie vorba de ghinionism cronic sau omul chiar nu invata din greseli?! :)

Fruntasi:

Loick Peyron-Gitana Eighty avans de aprox.10 miles
Seb Josse BT si Jean-Pierre Dick -Paprec-Virbac 2 lupta crancena pentru pozitia a doua

restul, mijlocasi, altii...(Spirit of Canada)...printre cei mai buni dintre codasi, deocamdata.

"NEVER GIVE UP"

Spirit of Canada

It’s official, Derek crossed the start line once again after making repairs to Algimouss Spirit of Canada at 02.00hr local time in France. Derek is unbelievable lucky to be able to repair the boat once again and commence racing. The repairs were made possible because of the involvement of Bahrain Team Pindar’s Technical Team and help from Andrew Pindar in particular. We did not have the resources to do this ourselves.

Derek is currently doing 10 kts of boat speed with 23598 nm to finish, what a Herculean effort this has been for him, he continues to make us very proud.

IU-HUUU!

:rock::rock::rock:

"NEVER GIVE UP!"

Vorba aia "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey"

"Cei din urma, vor fi cei dintai!" :)

Skipper's Report

Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada

What can I say about the first few days, wow what a beginning to a round the world race. Start day was fantastic with the big crowds and great send off. It is the most emotional thing I have experiencced in a sailing event, thousands of people cheering you on from the shoreline. I must admit to being nervous on the start line with 30 IMOCA 60's racing around chomping at the bit to be off. We knew the conditions would be lively the first few days and they lived up to the expections and then some. We all started off up wind with one or two reefs and the solent for a sail plan but it wasn't long into Sunday night that I was at three reefs and solent. At one point during the first night I spend about two hours going due north as the solent sheets totally wrapped themselves into a big knot after an unexpected wind shift tacked the boat and I found myslef lying on my side with the boat going sideways in 27 knots of wind. Monday was very unpleasant as the fleet headed due west to escape the Bay of Biscay and the unpleasant cross seas that pounded the boats. On Monday, winds were even higher with gusts into the mid forty knot range. I had changed to the staysail and during one violent rain squall of 55 knots I was attempting to put in the 4th reef in the mainsail when the mainsheet took away the wind generator. My worse case scenario so soon in the race; no wind generator and just enough fuel to go around the world hand steering with a hand held GPS to guide me. As the rules allow me to return to the start line, make repairs and restart without a penalty, this was the obvious choice. Reluctanly I turned back and watched the damage reports on the other boats come in. Back at the dock, Patianne and Team Pindar were waiting for me with all the resources needed to turn the boat around quicky. The damage to the mainsail track was only noticed once back across the line and I tried to take down the mainsail. The track at the second reef point had pulled away from the carbon mast. We realized immediately that we would have to take the mast down. Over the next few days the team worked day and night to work through the work list and take fix the broken mast. Around us on the dock, the carage from the storm started to appear. Maisonneuve with hull and deck crack problems, then Groupe Bel and Aquarelle.com with no masts at all. Hugo Boss arrived with long strands of carbon pulled from the hull. Bernard's boat was getting a new bow sprit after hitting a ship right after the start. Other competiors had already come and gone after quick fixes, Temenos and Foncia among them. I think in total, nine boats returned to Les Sables as a result of storm damage.

After four big days of fixing the long llist of things broken on Algimouss Spirit of Canada, I was ready to leave on the high tide Thursday night. I never really contemplated not leaving, as long as we felt the boat was safe and was fixed properly. A big thank you to Andrew Pindar and the Team Pindar team, especially Nick Black and Hanna White.

As I write this note, Cape Finisterre is visiable out the port side and I am just about to jibe to the south and continue chasing Bernard. I've been able to make some headway on him as I brought in the new wind from the north. I suspect though he will have slipped away after turning the corner as it is a much better wind angle as we head south. Next goal for me is to pass west of Maderia and to make some more time on the tail end of the fleet. More soon.

Take Care

Derek

Somnorosii capitani, pe sub punte se aduna... noapte buna!

:)

Position 36 52.46N x 13 02.932W

From flat seas and little wind to 25 knots and building seas. I've had a fast and furious night as the wind has kicked in from the NE. It started to build around midnight and I had the gennaker and full main and the boat took off on the flat seas, hitting speeds of 20 knots or more. With a moon lite night, it was fantastic sailing and I spend the night on deck watching the water rush by. I've changed to the genoa and one reef and am still getting surfs up to 20 knots. But now I'm tired and must sleep for a while to catch up.

Take Care

Derek

Noapte buna, somn usor si vise placute Derek!

La revedere International Collision Regulations Rule # 5!

:D

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision"

Dumnezeu Autotputernicul, sa binecuvinteze autopilotii, detectoarele de nave, bateriile, si Spiritul Canadei.

iar Poseidon, in afara de rechini, sa fereasca din fata kilei toate vietuitoarele adancurilor.

traducere pe scurt

Daily Report: Nov 19th
Hello From Algimouss Spirit of Canada

Position 33 34.023N x 17 27.720W

All ok on board, trying hard to make some inroads to boats ahead. There are some squalls around that are threatening to upset the sailing routine and I must be vigilant to avoid breakages during the storms.

Take Care

Derek

traducere pe scurt:

Am dormit bustean.Toate-s in regula (autopilotii, detectoarele...functioneaza brici!)

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 20th

Position: 30 31.142 N X 19 26.222 W

I have been attempting to deal with a battery/charging problem for the past day so I may have suffered a little bit in the standings on the fleet. This problem was caused by the storm just after the start in the Bay of Biscay and it was not detected when we returned to the start line. I am more or less back up to speed now but watching the batteries very closely as I have not been able to solve the problem. I will continue to work on a solution.

Other wise everything is good on board. The sailing is fantastic and the weather nice. More soon

Take Care

Derek

traducere:

nu rezolv problema, ma lasa bateriile, toate acareturile hi-tech la bord bune de muzeu...cirmaci non-stop ma cheama!?

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 21th

Position 26 06.952N 21 16.77W

The electrical problems have my attention and we are still trying to rectify the problems. It seems that with every Vendee Globe one or more of the fleet is destined to go around with minimal power. It's ironic that I set the boat up to use as little power as possible utilizing the wind and a wind turbine. Now with the wind turbine not working, we must preserve the fuel that we have on board. To help the battery/power situation, I am hand steering about three hours a day to supplement the power supply. Other wise every thing is fine on board and it is now hot in side the cabin. The trade winds are being a little elusive today and I have only 14 knots of wind. The fresh food is slowly disappearing and now onto the freeze dried, which I don't mind.

More soon

Derek

traducere:

Ma tin ocupat mesterind pe aici si pe dincolo. In rest plictiseala. In cabina caldura, patucul... si moleseala. Cind ostenesc la cirma, o pun pe auto, pe urma merg in cabina, mai maninc inghetate, mai incarc bateriile in patuc lungit pe spate...

traducere

Position 23 05.676 N X 23 08.19 W

The wind has come back this morning but not until after a slow frustrating afternoon yesterday. A big black localized cloud formed in front of me and I spent 6 long hours trying to get around, through, and under it with wind shifts and velocity changes by the minute. The weather here is very unsettled and I hope it clears up soon. The electical situation is still the same and I am slowly coming to grips with the fact that we may not be able to do anything about it and that I will have to be very conservative all the way around.

More soon. Take Care

Derek

traducere:

tropic... Ecuator... tropic... mai mult ma plimb decit intrec. Cu intirzierea... si din realitate...la sfarsit... macar un loc mai pe la jumatate!

:(

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 21th

Position 17 35.89 N x 25 2387 W

Hot hot hot. 34 C inside the cabin so I will be quick today. As I sit here dripping with sweat, the trade winds are weak again today so a little slower progress. All is well and I have been able to make some headway with the charging system and I think we at least have a chance to fix the wind generator. I have to wait for a calm day to go out on the back of the boat to try the repair.

Take Care

Derek

traducere

"Hot hot hot 34 C"

:D:D:D

Mississauga-Port Credit, Ontario -3 C
Canada

Brr Brr Brr

:D:D:D

Ceva progres cu reparatul dar cu navigatul...tot pe loc, penultimultimul loc, sa rasara busuioc!

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 24th Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada

Position 14 43.79N x 26 04.57W

Yesterday was practice day for the doldrums. A weak low pressure system seems to be crossing in front of me and the result is that for 24 hours now I have had very light winds. A very frustrating day indeed as I never sleep during the slow times as I don't want to miss any opportunities to take advantage of the wind. I must say I'm feeling a bit unlucky with the weather systems that I have encountered so far in the race. I must get my head into the weather files a bit more than I have been but this is a double edge sword; more computer time, more energy consumed. Oh well, I think I'm whining a a bit too much here, I just need to get on with it. My turn with the good luck with the weather will come.

Take Care

Derek

traducere

frustrat si somnoros dar sper sa ma intalnesc cu bunul Aeolus sa ma scoata din doldrums.

:(

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 25th Hello From Algimouss Spirit of Canada

Approaching the doldrums now and I'm hoping that I will have as good a passage as the fleet did ahead of me. From the weather files, I might just get a break and make it through quickly. (Knock on wood). It was a great night last night, very dark but steady 19 knots of wind and good speeds. Today I have all the sail up that I can find (mainsail and gennaker) and have been making good speeds towards the equator. I hand steered for 2 hours this morning and will do the same this afternoon.

A quick thank you one or my sponsors, Stonemill Bakehouse that proivded me with lots of good tasting long life bread. It's like having fresh bread everyday which really helps the spirits . Fresh food, one of those things we take for granted, until your at sea for 100 days or more.

I'm also feeling the heat from Jean Baptiste who is right behind pushing hard to catch up. He is providing me with some motivation to pick up the pace now that I sort of come to grips with the energy problems. All good stuff, as they say.

Take Care

Derek

traducere:

Doldrums... Ecuator... bat in lemn...(in crosa de hochei montata la pupa de la care flutura Frunza de Artar ?)

M-am cam incalzit cind pe Jean Baptist l-am zarit (ultimul loc frige...la sponsori si la figurat)

Ultima editare:
traducere

Daily Report: Nov 26th

A tough 24 hours starting last night with two major black clouds in the path to the south. These are very localized conditions and can be disruptive for many hours as you get through them. Especially after dark, it is hard to tell the intensity and sometimes the wind doubles in strength. This can be boat breaking if you have a lot of sail up when it hits. The first one had torrential rains as well and caught me on deck without my wet gear on. The fresh shower was welcome but by the end of it I was freezing and unable to leave the helm. Today the wind has shifted to the south a little bit so I am upwind at 5 degrees north through the doldrums. Always an experience. Two beautiful snow white seabirds have been following me now for an hour, flying very close to the transom. I'm not sure what they are expecting but I think they will be disappointed with my leftover noodles and chicken Mountain House freeze-dried lunch.

Take care

Derek

Position: 05 00.77'N by 26 56.48'W
Distance to Finish: 21491.3 nm
Distance to Loick: 1509.1nm
Speed: 10.2 kts
Direction: 183
Distance to Next competitor (Norbert): 226nm a gain of 73nm from yesterday

traducere

pe la Ecuator, cam asa face dus la bord un veleist de intrecere:
-sapunul, samponul, la cirma si... deschide Doamne robinetul!
Important este sa nu uiti "capotul impermebial" ca altfel...
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole!

Oficial, Jérémie Beyou -Delta Dore, a abandonat!

1):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

2):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

3):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

4):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

AM URCAT PE 24!

Oficial, Jérémie Beyou -Delta Dore, a abandonat!

AM URCAT PE 24!

Brava, mai are de asteptat numai 23 de alte abandonuri si poate castiga!:rock:

Pui pariu pe o bere ca Mounty nu termina cursa? Castigatorul alege berea.
Daca mai sant si alti doritori de pariuri ii rog sa se exprime. :noroc:

???

skipper a spus:

"Brava, mai are de asteptat numai 23 de alte abandonuri si poate castiga!

Pui pariu pe o bere ca Mounty nu termina cursa?"

skipper, partizan de Jérémie Beyou???

Gata skippere, hai sa vedem cine ramine insetat.

skipper a spus:

"Brava, mai are de asteptat numai 23 de alte abandonuri si poate castiga!

Pui pariu pe o bere ca Mounty nu termina cursa?"

skipper, partizan de Jérémie Beyou???

Gata skippere, hai sa vedem cine ramine insetat.

Insetat nu ramane nimeni, problema e cine plateste udatura! Rezolvam noi si asta!

Nu sant partizan Beyou dar imi plac: caracterul lui Bilou, profesionalismul lui Desjoyeux si barca lui Alex T!

Daily Report: Nov 26th, Crossing the Equator

Position: 0 59.56N x 27 49.538W

59 miles to do to cross the equator! This is my 5th time crossing that magical line and it is always special having the GPS just flip over from North to South, no fanfare or special signs, it doesn't care so much.

For me this kind of marks the end of phase one in the race - start line to the equator. Phase two starts immediately and takes us down to the south.

It's a little slow today it seems, more upwind work as I get into the weather systems south of the equator. The doldrums were non existent this time across which was lucky. Normally it is a slow painful crossing with many black clouds to negotiate. Thunder and lightning storms and big wind holes that can last for hours. Most of the fleet crossed without stopping I would imagine.

I am very tired today, I had a long night on deck watching for ships and monitoring the autopilot. Three ships came directly from the south, head on and very close. It's a little intimidating to have a large ship playing chicken with a small sailboat. About midnight the autopilot decided to tack the boat while I was asleep and I was rudely awakened with the boat totally on its side going sideways on the opposite tack. It took me about an hour to get it all back on track again and luckily no damage.

I guess the pilot needs some attention so I think I will call him Joshua, after Joshua Slocum the famous Canadian who was the first person to sail around the world single handed. The autopilot on Spirit of Canada in the Around Alone was called Joshua as well.

More soon. Take Care

Derek

Back
Sus