Vendée Globe 2008

TOTI LA SUD!

27 Noiembrie 2048 hrs!

Toti la Sud!

Ceremonia de trecere a Ecuatorului, varianta mouse control de la remote distanta:

:D

Whereas by our Royal Consension, Our Trusty, Well Beloved 5000 Canadian sailors on duty onto the portside and 5000 Canadian sailors on duty onto the starboard side along with their never giving up Skipper have this day entered Our Domain. We do hereby declare to all whom it may concern that it is Our Royal Will and Pleasure to confer upon them the Freedom of the Seas without undue ceremony. Should them fall overboard, We do command that all Sharks, Dolphins, Whales, Mermaids and other dwellers in the Deep are to abstain from maltreating them. And we further direct all Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and others who have not crossed Our Royal Domain, to treat them with the respect due to One of Us. Given under Our Hand at Our Court on board Algimouss Spirit of Canada on the Equator in Longitude 27 49.538W ° on this 27 day of November in the year 2008

Signed

Cancer — High Clerk
Neptune — Rex

LET THE PARTY BEGIN!

:happy-banana::noroc::banana::noroc::rock::noroc::banana::noroc::banana::noroc::rock::happy-banana::noroc::rock::happy-banana::noroc::happy-banana::rock::noroc::banana::rock::happy-banana::noroc::rock::banana::happy-banana::noroc:

corectie

Stage 2 of the race begins
Hello from the Spirit of Canada Team,

At 21.42hr today Derek passed over the imaginary line that is the equator, there was no celebration this time, just trying to make the boat go fast. He has passed for the 5th time, 3 times in this boat. Speaking to Derek earlier today he is exhausted and in need of some rest, he has been fighting to stay in front of Jean-Baptiste Dejeanty who is now only about 40nm behind him and the winds have not been kind so he is working hard to get every puff and bit of breeze to his advantage. The good news is that he is steadily making inroads into the fleet in front of him.

Congratulations Derek, keep up the good work.

Patianne

corectie:

scuze, la petrecere unele orologii (se) micsoreaza :)

Patianne, are dreptate... there was no celebration(for Derek)... a fost invoit de la petrecere de catre echipaj... :)

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device: http://www.spiritofcanada.net/index

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 28th
Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada Position 2 57.75S X 28 42.12W More upwind work on the south side of the line. I crossed the equator last night. With the head winds, I'm headed a little bit to much west for my liking but tomorrow the wind should back a little to allow me more south heading. Upwind is difficult sailing in an IMOCA 60 as the boats are so wet on deck and the motion is random at best. Inside the cabin is so hot that there is no where to sleep other than the cuddy just outside the door. It's turning out to be my favorite place, thanks Keith. I spoke via conference call to the Outreach Sailing Program in Toronto. They had some very good questions about the Vendee Globe and how we are doing. Happy Sailing to all the children participating and volunteers running this valuable program to take children sailing that otherwise would not have a chance to experience what it's like to be on the water in a sailboat.

Take Care Derek

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device: http://www.spiritofcanada.net/index_mobile.php

traducere:

cu vintul din fata, pe punte la prova leoarca ma fac; in cabina? zapuseala din lume! AER CONDITIONAT!.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......din...pupa si numai in vise pe care le am in culcusul de linga usa...ce mai, viata de caine....

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 29th

Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada

Slowly, ever so slowly the wind backs as we beat and thrash our way upwind. Most uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the fleet ahead of me had upwind conditions like this but it would explain why they did not pull away after the doldrums like I thought they should have. Normally we would be close reaching down the coast of Brazil. Ironically when we come this way again in 7 or 8 weeks, we will probably be upwind again past Brazil towards the finish line. The humidity is taking it's toll in skin rashes and blisters. Everytime I go on deck it's either a salt water shower or foul weather gear while sweating to death underneath. After more than two weeks at sea, I begin to wonder if "foul" weather gear refers to the outside or the indside of the gear. Time for a good rain shower I'm hoping, before it gets too cold in another week or so. Time for lunch; chicken with noodles and bread and peanut butter and jam. And a french chocolat pudding for dessert.

Take Care

Derek

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device: http://www.spiritofcanada.net/index_mobile.php

traducere:

Sapunul, samponul, tirlicii si sper sa ma bucur si azi de un dus caldut in baia de pe puntea din pupa, exact linga cirma, unde scurgerea este buna. Nu peste mult timp ma deconecteaza de la apa calda si ramin cu cea rece. Urmeaza dusurile scotiene! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! La prinz, mare mesean mare si ospat adevarat! (Meniu de week-end)

:)

alt posibil abandon?

Raphaël Dinelli
Fondation Océan Vital, cu toata viteza inainte catre... Trinidad!

Ce ne-am veseli s-auzim c-abandonat!

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Hai pe locul 23!

:D:D:D:D

traducere

Daily Report: Nov 29th Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada

The wind had backed enough to start reaching again and it feels great not to be upwind. I am on the direct route south and the weather files look interesting ahead for the mid fleet positions. I think that there might be some room to make up some time on the frontrunners for sure. Yesterday, my inexpereince in the IMOCA 60 boats came to the fore as I tried all day to get the boat balanced and up and running smoothly. It was a very frustrating day knowing that Jean is moving up from behind and there is nothing I can do about it right now. I must have tried every sail configuration possible with the limited number of sails that I have to try and get the boat balanced so that I felt that it was meeting potential. I don't think I ever succeeded for more than a few hours at a time. The wind was variable and shifting 25 degrees each side as well.

Today is a much better situation and I am trying hard to hold Jean of as long as possible. I even got time to do the laundry, getting the tidying things done before we reach the south. If the weather files are correct, we might have downwind conditions with 30-35 knots in a few days. It's time to start thinking about those high wind days that we all want to experience in the south.

Take care

Derek

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device: http://www.spiritofcanada.net/index

traducere:

Spalat, calcat, apretat,totul amarat. In curind de pe creasta pe creasta!

Iu-huuuuu!

:banana:

traducere

Daily Report Dec.1st

Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada A bit of a shocker this morning to find a batten car on the mast broken and the batten hanging loose against the mast. As day light came on I could also see damage to the mast track but once I could take a closer look by climbing up, it turns out that the track is damaged but not so much that the cars can go by. I had visions of the same thing that happened back in Les Sables D'Olonne, the whole reason for taking the mast down after the storm. I've replaced the broken car with a spare one and after three hours or so, am back up and running again. This is the second batten car that has broken and what is disconcerning is the fact that I don't know why they are breaking. I will try and figure it out to prevent others breaking as I only have one spare left. Otherwise, the weather is a bit unstable and large black clouds roam around in the night looking for IMOCA 60's, especially those ones where the skippers are napping. I'm sleeping on deck constantly now, trying to avoid being caught out by one of these clouds.

Take Care

Derek

traducere:

Probleme, probleme, probleme. M-am descurcat, ma descurc si ma voi descurca.Cer noros. Zona unde se motaie la greu si in functie de nori.Unii motaie mai mult decit altii.Azi ma numar printre altii.Mi-am luat masura de precautie. DORM cu cirma in mina ca de ma surprinde (in cabina) un nor mai mare...Jean Baptist...dispare din zare.

Ultima editare:
corectie

Daily Report Dec 2nd

Seems everyone from midfleet back has the pedal down tring to cut the corner and save some miles. It certainly looks doable from here and the weather files indicate the opportunity. An intense low pressure system to the west will push the high to the north east and may allow us to sail more directly to the first gate. I'm watching the weather with hopes that the current forecast will not change. Jean has managed to get by me, well done. He's doing an awesome job after a problematic start.

Take Care

Derek

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device:

http://www.spiritofcanada.net/index_mobile.php

corectie:

Jean has managed to get by me... but just for a while

23 Derek Hatfield
Algimouss Spirit of Canada 03/12/08 0330hrs.
23 19.78’ S
23 49.78’ W

24 Jean-Baptiste Dejeanty 03/12/08 0330hrs.
Maisonneuve
24 26.26’ S
25 16.30’ W

25 Norbert Sedlacek 03/12/08 0330hrs.
Nauticsport-Kapsch
22 56.47’ S
23 42.63’ W

:eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

HEY-HEY!

:eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

HEY-HEY!

HOP SI NOI PE 23!

Ultima editare:
traducere

Daily Report Dec.2nd

Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada,

Great sailing for the last 24 hours, a personal best in mileage at around 368 miles. Knock on wood (carbon), the weather forecast is still showing the possibility of cutting the corner on the St. Helena High and making some miles on the leaders. I'm watching this very closely as I don't want to get caught in the high pressure system that is coming, it will be brutally windless in this area for a few days on the weekend. The temperature is still very warm and daytime it's shorts and t-shirt and night time a fleece. I can feel the coolness in the air as I head south and it won't be long until the full layers of long underwear and fleece are required. Of course, on deck, it's foul weather gear all the time due to the spray and waves breaking over the boat. Top speed last night was 22 knots with sustained surfs on 18 knots for long periods of time, it was fantastic sailing. Today I've had to back off a gear from the genoa to the solent as the wind is getting up to high 20's. The boat is on the very edge of control and I felt it better to save the genoa to fight another day, given that it's the only one I have on board.

Word from back in Canada is that the government is in a bit of turmoil and the economy is at scary levels. I'm sure more than one of our sponsors are feeling the pinch of the recession. Hang in there and never give up on your goals. I feel a little guilty that I'm out here away from all of these woes but maybe some of you following the race can at least find it a motivating diversion from the financial situation.

Take Care,

Derek

traducere:

24 de ore de pe creasta pe creasta! Viteza maxima 22 noduri!

Iu-huuu! Ya ba da ba doo!

Vesti din Canada. In politica...rascoala din Decembrie, varianta canadiana, guvernu' cu crosa, opozitia cu pucu'(pucisti).Cind ma gindesc la sponsori... unii dintre ei posibil piscati de recesiune... ma gindesc si la mine, vorba aceea, il pisca recesiunea pe sponsor, il pisca si sponsorul pe sponsorizat, avantaj nici unu', ca asa-i economia de piata, cind in coma, cind in viata.

OLEEE!

22 Derek Hatfield
Algimouss Spirit of Canada 04/12/08 0330hrs.
28 15.03’ S
20 24.28’ W

1):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

2):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

1):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

2):eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le::eek:le:

NE-AM SUIT PE 22!

traducere

Daily Report Dec. 4th

Pollution is today's topic, oil spills to be precise. Around 10:00 UTC this morning, white and red Algimouss Spirit of Canada sailed through a large patch of bunker oil and came out a sickly brown colour. The boat was surfing along at 15 knots or so and of course shipping a lot of water over the decks. The boat decks are now covered with sticky greasy crude oil. It's everywhere, on the ropes, line bags, deck hardware and cockpit floor. It will probably take me a day or more to clean it so it doesn't track inside the boat. A couple of days before the race start I was given a bag of Ecover cleaning solutions from Mike Golding’s team, they sure will come in handy with this mess, thanks Mike. Otherwise the sailing is great and Jean-Baptiste and I are having a great drag race. He's not in sight but I know he's not far away off to my starboard side. Now back to cleaning.

Take Care,

Derek

Daily Stats: Current Position: 23 Location: 30 10.38’S 18 07.52’W Distance to Finish: 19378.8 Distance to Leader: 1445.4 Distance to Unai on Pakea Bizkaia: 304nm, down from 636nm just 3 days ago 24hr Distance covered: 358.6 nm

Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device:

traducere:

Cind ti-era lumea mai draga...!

:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::mad:

Am bagat Ecoverul in ea de pacura!

:mad::rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:!

Ultima editare:
traducere

Daily report: Dec 5th

Another fast and sleepless night as the winds got up to 30+ knots and boat speeds in the low 20's. I still don't have the confidence in the autopilots to actually go to sleep and leave them on their own. It's like teaching a teenager how to drive, confidence in them is gained after a period of time and experience.

I've had a nap this morning to ward off the drowsiness and it is almost time to make a sail change. I'm watching the high pressure off to my left like a hawk as I'm nervous that it will start back my way and I will get caught. This same thing happened to me in the Around Alone in 2002 and I lost second place to Tim Kent into Cape Town because I sailed too close to the high, it's like a magnet. The clean up of the oil spill has not progressed very well as the deck is still awash in water from surfing so much.

Take Care,

Derek

Daily Stats:

Current Position: 23
Distance to Finish: 19090.3
Distance to Leader: 1397 nm
Distance to Unai on Pakea Bizkaia: 101nm, down from 636nm just 5 days ago
24hr Distance covered: 380 nm New Personal Best

traducere:

Vint de ajuns, vreme bunicica, somn ba, motait da. Pe punte... ca pe derdelus. Am de munca la fel ca la balamuc...si da-i si freaca si sterge:mad::rolleyes:si da-i si freaca si sterge:rolleyes::mad:Pina la Cape Town...Capul Bunei Sperante ca voi termina cu frecusul.

?!

"Vezi ca nu mergi bine, trebuie sa treci prin poarta "

22 --- Derek Hatfield
Algimouss Spirit of Canada 06/12/0814:30 35 31.78’ S 4 51.26’ W
23 --- Unai Basurko
Pakea Bizkaia 06/12/08 14:30 34 50.67’ S 10 00.38’ W
24 --- Raphaël Dinelli
Fondation Océan Vital 06/12/08 14:30 35 54.23’ S 11 52.01’ W
25 --- Norbert Sedlacek
Nauticsport-Kapsch 06/12/08 14:30 34 10.43’ S 11 32.77’ W

Cine nu merge bine, si cine trebuie sa treaca prin poarta?

:)

traducere

Daily report: Dec 6th

I spotted my first albatross for this trip early this morning. They are magnificent birds and seem so at home here in the southern ocean. They soar around, doing a wheeling pattern into the trough of the waves and up high and back down again, only flapping their wings occassionaly. I watched one last trip for over five mintues and it never flapped it's wings once, gliding on it's huge wings and relying on the wind between the waves to keep going. I'm wondering if they can do this wheeling and soaring pattern in their sleep. I've read that they will spend months at sea and never touch land. Last night was fast and furious again with a top speed of 25.3 knots, a best for this trip and for this boat. I can feel the effects of the high pressure system now and the barometer is starting to rise. It's going to be very close to make it through before the high developes here. It will be slower today as we slowly make our way down to the gate. Ideally I would like to be farther south but will make do with this spot. We may have to jibe south eventually to get into the furious forties.

Take Care

Derek Follow Spirit of Canada on your mobile device:

traducere:

Ce bine e sa fii albatros.Zbori si dormi. Azi noapte record de viteza! 25.3 noduri/ora! Somn... normal, zero minute/ora. Acuma, mai ca as vrea sa ma descurc ca un albatros! Trecem cu vremea asta prin poarta, bine, nu putin mai la Sud, vint 40 noduri/ora, IU-HUUU, YA BA DA BA DOO ori sburam prin ea ori sburam de pe 22!

Back
Sus